WHAT MAKES THE PERFECT MODERN TIE LOOK?
The problem with fashion is that there are no rules; only opinions usually derived from our experiences of what we believe should look good and fashionable. The ‘opinions’ of our label is what you will find here and whilst fashion changes, so may our ‘opinions’. All this said, the following is a guide to what Distino currently believe makes the perfect modern tie look.
The 10 tie fashion rules to swear by:
1. Learn to tie the perfect Windsor knot as it is clearly the most important step in creating the perfect tie look. Almost any tie will look good if tied correctly…..although Distino ties will look the best.
2. Whilst many men are wearing stripe ties with checked shirts and visa versa, Distino believe that this is hard to pull off and get right. Stay clear of this look……wear checked ties with checked or plain shirts and striped ties with striped or plain shirts. You can’t go wrong with this…..for now.
3. Generally speaking, for shirts and ties to work well together you need to have some of the same colours or shades from the tie in the shirt. This rule does not apply for plain white shirts. You can get away with just about any colour tie with a plain white shirt. E.g. Don’t wear your favourite purple tie with your light blue shirt….even if you’re wife tells you it looks good.
4. Be bold when buying for yourself…even if you’re not a bold person. Great comments will come with all Distino silk ties, although you will get even more if your tie stands out from the crowd.
5. Choose a tie by occasion. E.g. don’t wear your pure white silk tie to work (it may not make it home).
6. Choose a great looking pair of cufflinks to either match the tie in colour (as with our full collection) or to match the shirt or suit patterns you plan to wear.
7. Get the length of your tie right. This comes back to tying the knot well – which will come with practice. Aim for the tip of the tie to finish just on your belt line.
8. Keep your tie in good presentable condition. Yes, Distino silk ties can be dry cleaned and keep well after being dry cleaned.
9. Store your ties carefully. If you’re lazy, keep the the knot tied and hang it over the neck of a coat hanger in the wardrobe. Your ties will be stored without creasing and you only need to tie the perfect Windsor knot once!
10. When buying a silk tie from the Distino collection as a gift, play it safe if you don’t know the fashion habits of the wearer. We would suggest something along the lines of No.’s 32, 17 or 35 – blue shades or a classy green as opposed to the aquas or burnt oranges of No.’s 36 and 12.
We have to reiterate that the above rules are only an opinion……it’s just that in this case it is the right opinion.